Red Mills, a settlement a little southeast of Colosse on Salmon Creek, is named for the red painted mill owned by Samual Rogers. Samual Rogers, owner of a sawmill and grist mill, received his deed for the property in 1811. Rogers home was the location of what must have been the first Masonic meeting held in the area, having taken place in January of 1808.
The Red Mill railroad crossing was notorious for fatal car/train accidents before automated warning devices came into use.
In a letter to the Colosse Postmaster, a former resident asked for information regarding his native hamlet, "Roger's Mills", suggesting that the area had at some point been known by that name. The correspondent was informed that "the Old Red Mill" had since burned.
Mexico Historical Society